I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Theoretical Philosophy at the University of Groningen.
My research falls in the domains of philosophy of science, social epistemology, and philosophy of cognitive science. I work primarily on understanding how the social organization of research activities affects their epistemic outcomes. I also have projects on causation and explanation in cognitive science, and knowledge ascriptions. I explore these topics supporting conceptual analysis with empirical literature, case studies, and computational models.
I currently teach courses on social epistemology of science, philosophy of neuroscience, and analytic existentialism.
I obtained my Ph.D. in the Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology program, Department of Philosophy at Washington University in St. Louis (Summer 2016). I studied Philosophy (B.A.) and Computer Science (B.Sc, M.Sc.) at University of Los Andes. Before coming to Groningen, I was a postdoctoral researcher at Tilburg University.
I am not Felipe Romero the boxer.
News & Updates
- Invited Talk: "The replicability crisis? philosophical, legal and sociological perspectives" workshop, Université de Lyon, France, October 15-16, 2020.
- Commentary: 7th René Descartes Lectures, Tilburg University, The Netherlands, October 14, 2020.
- My paper "Scientific Self-Correction: The Bayesian Way" (w/ Jan Sprenger) has been accepted for publication in Synthese. It is now available (Open Access). Here.
- Symposium Talk: 2020 Philosophy of Science Association Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland, Nov 19-22. (Postponed 2021)
- Conference Talk: 10th European Congress of Analytic Philosophy, Utrecht, NL. Aug 24-29. 2020.
- Symposium Talk: 2020 British Society for the Philosophy of Science, University of Kent, UK, July 13-15. 2020. Cancelled.
- Invited Talk: CSH-Philosophy Workshop - What Can Astrophysics Teach Us about Replicability?, May 22, 2020.. University of Bern, Switzerland.
- My paper "Philosophy of Science and the Replicability Crisis" is available now (Open Access!) in Philosophy Compass. Here.
- My paper "The Division of Replication Labor" has been accepted for publication in Philosophy of Science.
Penultimate draft here.
- I will speak in a session to introduce psychologists to current work on philosophy of science at the Society for the Improvement of Psychological Science, in Rotterdam, July 7-9, 2019. (w/ Noah van Dongen, Jan Sprenger and Michal Sirkoski).
- I will give a talk (w/ Leah Henderson) at the Groningen Night of Philosophy (Gronigse Nacht van de Filosofie) entitled "Why We Want Science to Err or Failure and Discovery: Two Sides of a Coin". April 5, 2019. Info here.
- I was interviewed by the Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience Newsletter (University of Groningen).
Read the interview here.